Title 16: Education
Chapter 99: GENERAL POLICY
16 V.S.A. § 2905. Prekindergarten-16 council
§ 2905. Prekindergarten-16 council
(a) A prekindergarten-16 council (the "council") is created to help coordinate and better align the efforts of the prekindergarten-12 educational system with the higher education community in order to increase:
(10) a member of the Building Bright Futures Council or designee;
(11) a technical education director selected by the Vermont Association of Career and Technical Center Directors;
(12) a representative from the business and industry community selected by the Vermont Business Roundtable;
(13) an advocate for low income children selected by Voices for Vermont's Children;
(14) a member of the house of representatives, who shall be selected by the speaker and shall serve until the beginning of the biennium immediately after the one in which the member is appointed;
(15) a member of the senate, who shall be selected by the committee on committees and shall serve until the beginning of the biennium immediately after the one in which the member is appointed;
(16) a member of the faculty of the Vermont State Colleges, the University of Vermont, or a Vermont independent college selected by United Professions AFT Vermont, Inc.; and
(17) a representative of after-school, summer, and expanded learning programs selected by the Vermont Center for Afterschool Excellence.
(c) The council shall develop and regularly update a statewide plan to increase aspirations for and the successful completion of postsecondary education among students of all ages and otherwise advance the purposes for which the council is created, which shall include strategies to:
(6) enhance student engagement in secondary school, ensuring that learning opportunities are relevant, rigorous, and personalized and that all students aspire to and prepare for success in postsecondary learning opportunities;
(7) expand access to dual enrollment programs in order to serve students of varying interests and abilities, including those who are likely to attend college, those who are from groups that attend college at disproportionately low rates, and those who are prepared for a postsecondary curriculum prior to graduation from secondary school;
(10) ensure implementation of a prekindergarten-16 longitudinal data system, which it shall use to assess the success of the plan required by this subsection.
(d) Together with the secretary of administration or the secretary's designee, a higher education subcommittee of the council shall perform any statutory or other duties required of it, including duties in connection with the higher education endowment trust fund. The following members of the council shall be the members of the higher education subcommittee: the president of the University of Vermont, the chancellor of the Vermont State Colleges, the president of the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation, the president of the Association of Vermont Independent Colleges, the representative from the business and industry community, the member of the house of representatives, and the member of the senate.
(e) The legislative and higher education staff shall provide support to the council as appropriate to accomplish its tasks. Primary administrative support shall be provided by the legislative council.
(h) The council shall report on its activities to the house and senate committees on education and to the state board of education each year in January. (Added 2009, No. 133 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2011, No. 129 (Adj. Sess.), § 16, eff. May 11, 2012.)